Tuesday, June 08, 2004

*the dream ends*
my 4 1/2-month trip into the surreal world of hollywood is almost over... and i'd have to say that it's been a pretty wierd trip. the first 3 1/2 months were relatively uneventful. the final month in shanghai was the defining time. i feel like alice in wonderland - living in a world that is not quite right. people in the entertainment business don't really live in reality, and it scares me to think that to them, it is reality. but then, i suppose we can say that about anyone who submerse themselves in any particular aspect of life, whether it's their work, family, or fantasy. it's just a very very... wierd life.

and i'm so glad it's not my reality.

admittedly, i've enjoyed my time in shanghai for the most part. often i do feel entirely useless in the whole making-a-blockbuster-movie scheme of things... most of my "work" days consist of sitting around the set, chatting with anyone who would acknowledge my measly presence, and trying to stay out of the way of people who don't. my actual job takes up very little of my time. but it's given me the opportunity to poke into a world i never imagined i would be a part of, even for a short period of time. and i've gotten to know some pretty cool people.

this production, despite the many problems that surround it, was at least something that brought a lot of people from different places together. there are americans, canadians, aussies, chinese, mexicans, english, eastern european, and a dane.... and it's one of the little joys for me because i love getting to know people. people just fascinate me... and it's just been a blast hanging out in a new city with new people. it helps to remind me that life is much bigger than myself.

but that said, i can't wait to get home to my own life. it's a life which i have renewed appreciation for. i miss my flat and my flatmates, my hamster, my friends who always make me laugh and never give me a dull moment, my church that is full of imperfect people who are not afraid to change, and of course, my darling who has put up with so much since i've been away.

so, this little fantasy world is drawing to an end, and i will soon wake up in 2 days time back in my own beautiful life. see you on the other side.