Monday, September 01, 2003

*bare feet*
i lost my shoes today. well, ok... i didn't lose them. they broke, and i had to trash them. yes my $15 kwun tong purchase, incredibly, fell apart. this is the second time this has happened to me. the first time i was in lan kwai fong with fion. i had to hobble home with a half-flip flop on my foot. this time, i was in soho. stone slab street to be exact. i was helping my colleague pick up some things from apres.


the thing was, i was already in a bad mood because i had to put off doing my own work in order to help my coworker do hers. for some reason they had to rush me to go with her because she had to be in tst by 6pm. it was 4pm. we were in central. i was like "HUH?" ok. so i go help my coworker to pick up two bags of small teddy bears. why, i don't know. she apparently cannot manage two relatively light bags of teddy bears on her own. (or perhaps they just seemed light to me because of my massively huge guns... yeah.) so i was already upset. then my flip flops broke. great. i didn't feel like hobbling today, so i just took them off and threw them away. so i went barefeet from soho back to the office, and from my office back to central. i was heading to the church office in hopes of there being someone who just might happen to have a spare pair of shoes with them. hmm. yes i forgot it was monday and everyone's day off at the office. so, no spare shoes. but i found baby blue terry slippers. baby blue terry slippers it was.


once i had time to calm down... i was actually glad that my flip flops broke. they were dead weight anyway. i didn't need junk cluttering my house. and it felt good walking on the warm pavement with my bare feet. going bare feet always make me feel good, no matter where i am. i remember many years ago when i came to hong kong for a visit, my parents warned my sister and i not to pack sandals because the streets were really dirty and we should be wearing fully protective footwear. hmm... no protective footwear for me today. would they have had a fit if they saw me! but i loved it. it just felt so free. walking where i shouldn't be walking. without proper footwear. such a release. if only we could all do that once in a while, i think we wouldn't be so afraid to tread on unfamiliar territory. the soles of our feet would be more accustomed to every kind of terrain.


these FEET were made for walking...