Monday, April 19, 2004

*what sundays are for*
yesterday was the kind of sunday i've longed for for a long time. the last several months have been taken up by mission team meetings or drama practices every week, and since we've been back the weather has decided to be wet and miserable... until yesterday. the sun finally found it's way out. derek had successfully recruited nate, amy and myself to help with the primetime party at the crc, so we had to skip our ritual mass lunch at city'super. free meals on the church's tab are always welcome in my books :)

the thing is, in my old age, i think i have finally grown out of the "hang out with as many people as you possibly can" stage of my life. don't get me wrong, it's great to see friends and talk to people i don't normally get a chance to talk to, but i've realized long ago that real conversations rarely happen amidst a large group of people. perhaps in my old age, too, i've come to appreciate a nice mellow afternoon in the shade more than the raucous mayhem of aimlessly wandering the streets of causeway bay.

at any rate, after the primetime party (which was enough raucous mayhem in itself), the four of us just chilled out on the patio of the crc. of course, i had to remind myself every so often that i am not (and never hope to be) the kind of person who could regularly sit at an elite chinese country club and watch father-and-son tennis tournaments all afternoon and listen to boys compare their nike vs. adidas attire or tai tai's gossip about the latest sale at lane crawford. but this just happened to be where we found ourselves yesterday, and if the Lord so choose to bless, who are we to argue?

today i was thrown back into my warped reality of hollywood. although these days have been a bit less hollywood than usual. my student has been on hold for the past few weeks, so we've just been working at the hotel. again, i had to remind myself periodically that it is not normal to be chilling at the executive lounge of a five-star hotel gazing at the sparkling victoria harbour everyday. it's just a bit too... "rawkstar" (as joshua would say) for me. but again, such is the blessing of the Lord on me these days. things might just get a wee bit more surreal when we go up to shangai for a month, where i'll be put up in a hotel myself, and paid per diem and chauffeured around wherever i go. who cares if this is all because of my student? i somehow get all the perks just becuase i happen to be with him.