Saturday, August 26, 2006

* thoughts on a plane *
1 hour til home.

It’s been a long long vacation.  Three weeks is like an eternity in hong kong time.  I wonder what kinds of things we will go back to.  I can’t wait to see people, go to oneighty & church, roam the crazy streets, feel the intense heat & humidity that we have eluded for so long.

I don’t think I can sum up our 21 days in vancouver briefly.  There is a sense of overwhelming when I think about all the things that God has been speaking to me about while we were there.  Things about church & community, about how to care for and love people despite differences, about my purpose & calling, my family, our ministry....  Alll of these things, I’m sure, will filter through what I do over the next two years.  So perhaps I’ll just let nature take its course.

What will I remember most about our trip?  Our time with my family.  Obviously, I don’t get this often, and I’ve realized how special my family is.  My mom cooked up a storm on our last week.  My mom has always been a very good cook.  She would taste things she liked at restaurants, and then try to recreate it at home, and she usually ends up making a better version.  We spent a lot of time with my brother and sister, and my sis’ boyfriend from toronto.  We played games and ate together.  

And my dad got to show off his gun collection.  Handguns and revolvers and rifles and shotguns....  According to the boys, the prizewinner was the PPK-47, james bond’s gun of choice in goldeneye (the n64 game, for the girls).  Unfortunately my dad wouldn’t let us take any pictures of them because he was afraid people might think he had relations with terrorists, but here's one of him trying to open the case containing the PPK-47:


Yes I love my family.