Thursday, May 11, 2006

*above the clouds*

fearlessnes may be a gift, but perhaps more precious is the courage acquired through endeavor, courage that comes from cultivating the habit of refusing to let fear dictate one's actions, courage that could be described as 'grace under pressure' - grace which is renewed repeatedly in the face of harsh, unremitting pressure. ~ aung san suu kyi

I feel like I'm finally coming out of my cloud of idleness and lethargy ever since I ruptured my achilles tendon nearly 5 weeks ago. i'm starting to feel like I know my purpose and know how to move forward again, like king theoden when gandalf finally comes and frees his mind in 'the two towers'. i've been so focused on trying to find a job in the past year that I've neglected what I know God has called me to. and now in these final months before I become a full-time student again, I can get myself back on track and remember why I'm going back to school in the first place.

Last weekend was amazing in so many different ways, but personally, I feel like I got a slap in the face to wake up.

For several months, there had been some new asylum seekers at the vine, but I never really got a chance to get to know them until last weekend, because I was mobilizing all the volunteers and many of them are our most eager volunteers. There are 5 guys from togo who are currently being hunted by the military dictatorship for their involvment in a democratic coalition party who ran against the militia in last year's rigged elections. They have all been tortured and beaten, some of their families have been killed, and they cannot return to their home country. Their stories broke my heart.

and yet, when you see them, they are always full of joy and smiling from ear to ear. I have so much to learn about what endurance and faith really means as james talks about. I have so much to learn about gratitude and being content with what I have, where God has placed me.

Next month, I finally have the chance to do something I've been wanting to for a long time: to visit the karen tribe along the thai-burma border. Burma is another country that have been held under a military coup for the past few decades, with many of the native people groups being persecuted under the guise of 'ethnic cleansing', and the situation has only worsened since the movie beyond rangoon. there are hundreds of thousands of refugees living along the border to thailand for years, with little to no basic necessities available to them. there have been several trips from hk in the past year, but I've never been able to go. Now, having missed the beijing trip, I am determined to go.

It's pretty unlikely that I'll be able to find a job for 2 months, so why not spend money :) i'm also hoping to join the '100 days of hope' campaign in rwanda, God willing.

Are these dreams too big? We have no money, and I need to pay $53,000 for grad school in about 3 month's time... And yet God has placed these dreams in my heart, so i will not be deterred.

"open your mouth for the dumb [those unable to speak for themselves], for the rights of all who are left desolate and defenseless... ~proverbs 31:8

And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness. ~ James 3:18